I have finally come to the realization that I am a pretty strong visual learner. I never really knew what that was growing up, even through high school and parts of college I could never "classify" myself as following visual cues so much better while learning. I learn better through visual means in most aspects of learning; I draw out my notes and take them whenever possible, I outline assignments as best I can, and I visualize my notes and study guides during tests as a form of mental/visual aid. We are now learning to utilize a visual means of technology in the classroom focused mainly on the use of PowerPoint. By seeing the information that I would need to understand, from a student's standpoint, I would be better suited to comprehend the material.
Especially when it comes to history and the social sciences, there are a number of areas that can be illustrated in a way that is easier to understand rather than merely telling the student. By outlining notes, drawing out time lines, genealogy trees, and cause and effect scenarios these ideas can be approached in different manners by the instructor. It is important to remember that not all students learn in the way, but it remains crucial to differentiate (at least a little) to make sure that you cover those students who learn in different ways than others.
I also enjoy this new application that we have been using in class that it acclimatizing us to the use of Digital Storytelling Programs. I really like the idea of this method as a different and resourceful way of integrating primary sources into the classroom along with providing another means of technology in the classroom besides PowerPoint. Our work on the Gettysburg Address provided me with a wider breadth of knowledge of the applications and uses of PowerPoint and Digital Storytelling devices, especially in terms of using them for Social Science purposes. In the end, another useful tool rediscovered and reinvented.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that I am a strong visual learner too. I think sometimes it is easier to look at something and understand what is going on then hearing about it and understanding it. I think that when you are the teacher it is your responsibility to cover the different ways of learning for the different children in the classroom too. It is always a good idea to incorporate different technology and different ways of learning.
Post a Comment