Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Join me for an Adventurous WebQuest?!

WebQuests eh? Well, I can definately see their value in the classroom. The sheer mention of the fact that lessons and classes will be completed on the World Wide Web and I'm sure that the classes will discover some new found motivation. They could also, be hell bent on breaking the rules as they are sitting at a computer with regrettably limited monitoring. These are the pros and cons of all computer lessons though. The good must be taken with the bad. For WebQuests specifically, they seem very useful for lesson planning and integration of technology and academic content. The ones that were discussed in class, a few of them were actually very helpful and informative.

The one thing that I would propose with the use of WebQuests is that they stimulate critical thinking skills throughout the assignment. Regurgitating information, research projects, etc. really have no place with WebQuests. In doing so, the students aren't really learning anything about their connections, implications, uses of their own work. It turns into one huge "copy and paste session", even without the plagarism. I am nervous and excited about being able to create a WebQuest, more so because I want to be able to portray those things that I want the student to get from the experience. This puts a little more pressure on me, but that is alright, that's what being a teacher is all about anyway!

No comments: